• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jellyfish Can't Swim in the Night (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:26 am Reply with quote
Eilavel wrote:
Well, this week seems to confirm it was a cringe issue.

And Yoru doesn't buy that one for a second. Kiui seems to have bit of a fear of men hitting on her... scratch that, Kiui says to Yoru that it's better than being hit on. That being with Yoru's friends is better than being hit on... whatever that means.

I have an idea but we're not there yet, this is a Kano episode. Her mother is her former idol group's producer. And...

Oh boy... did the new Sunflowers group really audition for a man by himself while he was in a yukata? "My cheeks taste like peaches." "I'm the sexy one." "Mr Bando, I know I just caught your eye."

What the living hell, Japan? It's a practiced routine but it's not one they would do for the public. Am I making myself suffer because I'm paying attention and asking questions?

I don't think Kano hit any of the idol members. I previously thought she hit her rival but she seems kind of an airhead, not worth the effort. Is all of that a lie?
Eilavel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And Yoru doesn't buy that one for a second.

Yoru expresses surprise because she didn't know. Yoru genuinely thought Kiui was a big social success until like 2 days ago, she has no reason to be suspicious of Kiuis stated cause even if Kiui was lying here, which the show gives no reason to believe. Edit: Indeed, Yoru thinks of Kiui as the social dynamo she was to her as a child, so she would naturally be surprised she flubbed.

Animegomaniac wrote:
I don't think Kano hit any of the idol members. I previously thought she hit her rival but she seems kind of an airhead, not worth the effort. Is all of that a lie?

Being in an idol group is a highly intense social circumstance, being in one managed by your mother where one of the members is trying to compete for their affection even more so. Exactly what happened we are yet to find out but the show has given nothing to indicate it didn't happen. What we've found out only makes it make more sense to me.

I just don't think the show is going to reward these ultra deep reads most of the time, judging by Tomozaki.

There is a parallel between Kiuis dislike of the male gaze (Kiui is referencing the event last episode, I don't see any special fear- its just what happened to her last time she went outside) and the unpleasant sunflowers performance you note though. Jelle seems to promise a more empowering path into music which should be a positive journey.

Last edited by Eilavel on Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:50 am; edited 1 time in total
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:16 am Reply with quote
My current theory is that a groupmate accused Kano of only being as successful as she was in the group because mum was the producer, something that invalidated her hard work, or own creative ability.

Eilavel wrote:
There is a parallel between Kiuis dislike of the male gaze (Kiui is referencing the event last episode, I don't see any special fear- its just what happened to her last time she went outside) and the unpleasant sunflowers performance you note though. Jelle seems to promise a more empowering path into music which should be a positive journey.

That is a good note. We had the pop group weirdly sexualising themselves I guess to sell, and we can connect to the earlier bit where Kiui expressed a displeasure of a scenario of being hit on (sexualised/objectified).
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I think Kano's mom wanted her to do things Kano didn't want to do... fan meet and greets are ok, coming on to sponsors is not... and so the producer succinctly cut her out of the group, by having a Sunflower Doll accuse Kano of assault.

I don't know if there's any animosity behind it or if it was just business but seeing how completely Kano lost her previous identity, it does seem on the level of "you won't dare show your face in town again once I'm through with you."
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Hey, remember all that stuff in the first episode I was reading a lot into for subtext? That just became standard text. I thought we would get light teasing, but that feels super hard to write it off. At the very least it does look Kano was maybe trying to play it off like she was just playing, but everything about that attempt was super awkward and really lingered on Yoru clearly not knowing how to react. Granted, Yoru's language sounds sort of like a confession, but with plausible deniability of just friendship. But despite it being on the cheek, that was not a just friends thing.

But this was all the cap off to a wonderful episode Yoru being insecure from randoms comparing her to some professional artist that decided to make fanart of her drawings. And Kano being just the best in realising that there was something wrong and doing the best to help. She went so far as to go to her place to get her to open up, quickly shut down the idea of anyone else doing official art, and when Yoru made a super red flag comment about asking who's art is better she dropped what she was doing and went on a date.

Going back to the earlier kiss. Could that actually be connected to the real reason she was pushed out of the group? I saw a comment about the possibility, but could the beanie Kano was wearing in the first episode have had some of the pins and patches on it be censored from what they were supposed to be? They do sort of look like discoloured versions of pride stuff.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:27 am Reply with quote
From the previous episode, when Yoru was doing to loving wife routine and told the group she liked someone, both Kano and Kiui wanted to know who and I thought "both of them?"

This may not turn into Girl Meets Girl as hopefully it will be both better and less cowardly in its resolution. Also... it'll probably be more complex...

We also learned that Yoru isn't just lying to herself but the audience too as she lets on there's more going on with her refusal to do art... probably has something to do with her jealousy issues. We don't know she has... had... a rival and we won't know more about it until Yoru's sister brings it up.

In my eye, Yoru has better creative design and she needs someone to tell her what she is good at... but it's not Kano. "I love your art" is not going to get through to her.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 5:29 am Reply with quote
DP, I knew you'd be super happy when that kiss happened! I can't even accuse you of slipping on the yuri goggles because you can see the yuri from a mile away. I was a little disappointed that Yoru was initially thrown into a tailspin from a single negative comment because that seemed to indicate she had made no progress at all in confidence from the first episode. I guess they developed it by adding the fanart angle (I actually didn't care for the pro's version to tell the truth). Anyway, there may be something to DP's speculation that Kano's ouster from the group was about something more than a punch... or at the very least the punch may have been a result of an issue we initially hadn't thought about.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I like this episode, and I think it was good, but there is something I don't understand...
The episode starts with Kano complaining she is having difficulties writing new lyrics. This is immediately put aside and I understand, it's just introducing future drama for the next episodes. What I don't understand is, Miiko asked JEELE to make a song/music for her, right? The girls them spend a day with her to get to know who she is a get inspiration in case they agree to make a song/music for her, and them before we notice it's already Miiko's show, two weeks after!
What happened? The girls agreed to make something for her?
Didn't Kano struggled with her apparent creative block?
JEELE din't anything in these two weeks, when they were so desperate to pump out new material as fast as possible?

Did I miss something?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:
I like this episode, and I think it was good, but there is something I don't understand...
The episode starts with Kano complaining she is having difficulties writing new lyrics. This is immediately put aside and I understand, it's just introducing future drama for the next episodes. What I don't understand is, Miiko asked JEELE to make a song/music for her, right? The girls them spend a day with her to get to know who she is a get inspiration in case they agree to make a song/music for her, and them before we notice it's already Miiko's show, two weeks after!
What happened? The girls agreed to make something for her?
Didn't Kano struggled with her apparent creative block?
JEELE din't anything in these two weeks, when they were so desperate to pump out new material as fast as possible?

Did I miss something?

The struggle of artistic expression versus working for commission. Kano was trying to find what she wanted JELEE to say next but when you're being paid to come up with something, you'll come up with something.

This is something that's common in people under the age of 30 who see everything as art and the idea of people popping out product confuses them. "No one sets out to make a bad piece of art" is their rallying cry.

People merely working for a paycheck is the reality.

I really loved this episode, making the comedic character introduced earlier into the hero of another story. Can we draw the conclusion that Miiko has failed to make herself into an idol because she's just too good as a mother? Because I'm pretty sure the first episode was pretty certain her lack of talent was the biggest issue.so know but does Kano see it that way?

Everyone's arc but Yuro... no, wait, everyone's arc was advanced because Yuro's expression while playing triangle does a pretty good job showing her performance anxiety... which Kiui didn't have.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:42 pm Reply with quote
@ PM - your confusion is understandable. My own interpretation was that JELEE did come up with a song for her as requested and that it was the song they sung as a group when Miiko took off. I am by no means 100% I'm correct, it's just what I was assuming as I watched. I buy Animegomaniac's explanation that even if you are creatively blocked on writing a song for your own group, it might be possible to crank something out for somebody else on commission. But yeah, the writer's block and last week's fixation on putting material out as quickly as possible was certainly glossed over, no doubt. Liked the episode though and I hope Miiko (I'm sticking with that name) and Ariel are recurring characters.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 4:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 6 was so good. I was actually interested if we would see the idol from the first episode again, and preferably not in a negative way. And everything in this episode with Miiko/Shizue made her just the coolest. Cool that she still is strong for the dream in her thirties. Cool that she works an unglamorous job as a particular waitress. Cool that even though she has to project diet thing for her career she doesn't feel shame in eating food she likes. And cool for everything with her being an attentive single mother, who wants her daughter to shine how she feel comfortable.

For sure strange things for a would be idol, but it all just worked to me in the sense that she didn't actually feel ashamed that she might not be the picture of an idol despite the image she gave. And push came to shove she would choose her daughter without a second thought, she was just as inspired by her daughter to air out some things. Similar things with Many Sides of Voice Actor Radio, isn't cooler for a would be idol to not have to fit some pigeonhole the standard image?

On the elements of what was big last episode. Yoru brought up the kiss from Kano, and at least for now Kano has played it off as a spur of the moment. But there was a particular line that Mei had with talking to Ariel, about not needing to feel shame for who you love, which sounded mighty close to more than just being a fan of an idol. It was to the point I had to actually rewatch that part again after it started to sound more than just being a fan. I wonder if it also sounds that way in Japanese.

Why did they send poor Yoru on stage with a triangle?

Oh, and this came out around Mother's day, right?
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 6:29 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@ PM - your confusion is understandable. My own interpretation was that JELEE did come up with a song for her as requested and that it was the song they sung as a group when Miiko took off.

Actually, that song was from their first MV, the one that played at the end of the Kiui focus episode. Thus Kano's attempted cover of "we're a JELEE cover band."
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
Thanks for the correction, Dark Magick. Okay, so colour me as confused as PM, then.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 10:38 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:

The struggle of artistic expression versus working for commission. Kano was trying to find what she wanted JELEE to say next but when you're being paid to come up with something, you'll come up with something.

This is interesting, the only problem is that this "content" is only here in your comment, not in the anime.
This whole episode belongs to Miiko. It tried to add a bit more for the other characters but in the end it felt like everything that was not relevant to Miiko and her daughter was butchered for time and all this side content ended unaddressed.

Since the first episode I feel like the script in this isn't that good, actually, and again makes me remember I wish I have for years. Now that streaming practically became the standard means by which people watch anime, isn't it time for anime to be freed of the 22 minute format and adopt a more flexible episode length? I'm watching X-Men 97 and it's 5 extra minutes are doing wonders.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2024 2:14 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Panino Manino"]
Animegomaniac wrote:

Since the first episode I feel like the script in this isn't that good, actually, and again makes me remember I wish I have for years. Now that streaming practically became the standard means by which people watch anime, isn't it time for anime to be freed of the 22 minute format and adopt a more flexible episode length? I'm watching X-Men 97 and it's 5 extra minutes are doing wonders.

I think you're forgetting that most anime, including this one are still being broadcast on Japanese television, hence why they still stick to the 23 minute episode length.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3