• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Non-Infantile Romcoms?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 6:47 pm Reply with quote
So while I have jumped into Isekai, fantasy, shonen , seinen, etc. I’m struggling to find much that qualifies as a good fantasy or romcom that has characters who act like, if not full adults, at least like 16+ year olds who are fairly comfortable with dating or at least holding hands. I seem to remember Kirito and Asuna acting more like a young dating couple without all the screaming and running away, etc.

Mostly it seems like if they move away from the freak out guy the pendulum swings over to harem-arrogant guy. Is there anything in the middle? Is there a genre that keeps it closer to center?

Is there a specific anime term for the MC being a screaming ball of idiocy every time the girl looks at him? I am fine with shock and surprise making it happen once or even twice but maybe not 4/6/12 times

Just curious
Shocked
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure if you are angling for some good romcom recommendations or not but I have some for you. They all involve high school students (of course) but none of them have the kind of male character you dread. In no particular order:

1) Kimi ni Todoke - a really sweet female protagonist who also has an inner strength that ensures she's nobody's pushover.

2) Lovely Complex - two friends, a tall female and a short male and the tall girl realizes she's got a crush on the short guy but the course of love is not smooth...

3) Toradora! - Rie Kugimiya in one of my favourite of her roles as a pint-sized handful (not that you'll care since you're a dub dude). She and the male protagonist think they've got crushes on other people, but surprise!
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I’ll look those up. Wasn’t angling for a recommendation as much as just wanting to know if there was a term for the trope and if I was walking down the wrong genre roads or missing a sub genre.

Still new enough to know I don’t know much and pouring through old threads can only get ya so far.

Plus it’s been kinda quiet here so figure a few rando questions can’t hurt.

Thanks for the guidance.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, as far as I know there is no specific term for that kind of character. Feel free to invent one and we'll try to make it happen!
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Oh fun let’s create a new term!

Well using google I found:

Josei e no kyōfu = fear of females
Shinmitsu-sa e no kyōfu = fear of intimacy
Hanikami panikku = bashful panic

What I don’t know is what is an allowable Japanese contraction.

Anyone out there know enough Japanese to help?
Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Hanipani, it is!
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I endorse Hanipani.

We've done a fine thing today, creating a label.
sharkticon

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 12:55 am Reply with quote
Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku

All characters are adults, no will they or won't they BS in the beginning. The main couple gets together in the first episode, the beta couple has been together since the end of high school. Instead the series is about how their relationships progress.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2023 4:18 am Reply with quote
Have a few titles coming to mind that don't follow the typical "will they or won't they" angle common in many romance anime.

His and Her Circumstances comes to mind for this. After the first four episodes, the main couple hook up and the series becomes more focused on their relationship developments and the close friends they become acquainted with.

Mysterious Girlfriend X features its main couple hooking up within its first episode and despite its rather quirky premise, has some interesting exploration on communication and emotional connections within a relationship.

If harem titles grab your interest, Ai Yori Aoshi is a subversion of the genre in that its male lead, a college student who cut ties with his abusive family, already has a girl in mind from the start of the series with his childhood friend and that living with the other girls of his harem is part of a living arrangement with the girl's family to conceal her wealthy family connections. Plus in many instances, the girls are forgiving of the male lead getting into compromising situations with them as they are aware things are a misunderstanding.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
InfiniteJest

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:20 am Reply with quote
More for my watch list! I’m starting to find more.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 10:45 am Reply with quote
Kinda amazed Tonikawa hasn't been mentioned yet!?

Also recommend The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten Male lead is very good at keeping his cool xD it's just a super cute show with the main couple being a little awkward in a subtle and quiet way...I don't anybody screams even once! xD
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Aharen-San is Indecipherable has what you want. The couple are chill, funny, and very touchy-feely without having meltdowns over it. Plus its 12 episodes make a very satisfying little romance arc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1