• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) Kingdoms of Ruin (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:52 pm Reply with quote

(The) Kingdoms of Ruin (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 8 volumes, by yoruhashi)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: Yokohama Animation Laboratory

Genres: action, drama, fantasy, psychological, science fiction

Themes: aristocracy, conspiracy, dark fantasy, dystopian, ecchi, genocide, gore, military, revenge, royalty, sorcery, tragedy, witches

Plot Summary: Humanity long lived in harmony with witches, but an advanced scientific revolution has made the powers of a witch unnecessary. Succumbing to resentment and fear, the greatest nation in the world begins a brutal witch hunt and eliminates all witches from the land. After being forced to watch his beloved teacher die, Adonis, a witch's apprentice, swears revenge on the empire that took everything away from him.

Air Date & Platform:
October 6, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

Whew, there's a lot of fantasy titles airing this Fall. This one sounds like a series I'd really enjoy. I love a good bloody revenge story, especially one that's in retaliation to something like persecution and systemic genocide. And it's another Kaito Ishikawa main role. Looks like he'll be doing this, Shield Hero, and VRMMO, too. The dude's getting a lot of work.

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I'll check this out but there is some instinct I have that it probably won't be a keeper for me. We'll see.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:42 am Reply with quote
Fair warning: on the level of cheerfulness and cuddlyness this series is pretty Berserk like.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 9:38 am Reply with quote
Beserk-like, eh? Even better, since it seems Berserk will never gonna' get a good modern-day adaptation. I guess this'll have to be its substitute until that day arrives (if ever).

Last edited by Tony K. on Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 10:07 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
Fair warning: on the level of cheerfulness and cuddlyness this series is pretty Berserk like.

You have increased my interest.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:20 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

So I give this show 0 out of 10 for subtlety in setting up the revenge plot, but 10 0f 10 for Crude Effectiveness. I am thoroughly primed to watch Adonis tear the Empire a new one.
asoka

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
I have to admit being in 100% agreement with Blood on this, I was a little surprised that in less than 10 mins of run time they managed to make me loath the emperor. After 10 yrs of being locked up with his mentors beheading still fresh in his mind I’m hoping for a real Old Testament rending and hewing of limbs amidst rivers of blood…once he gets free.

I’m a big fan of well planned and executed cold blooded revenge stories in the 47 Ronin style. So I don’t know how this series will play out but as long as the majority of the population of Redia ends up slaughtered and the MC methodically destroys the Emperor before the end of the season this show will have achieved its purpose.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2023 8:58 am Reply with quote
That was a hard pilot to watch. It's too early to say whether it was worth it or not.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:31 am Reply with quote
Episode 02

Man, Adonis did not pull any punches. As soon as he got out, he really let the city have it. With the people laughing, taunting, and recording Chloe getting stripped and executed in the freakin' town square, of all places, I was pissed off enough just thinking people could be that cruel. But surely, not every single person can be like that.

And to top it off, the Emperor is on his deathbed full of regret, and probably won't even live long enough for Adonis to get to him. Then Doroka tries to step in and help, and she gets a giant hole blown through her body right when Adonis is about calm down from his rampage. The guy just can't catch a break.

I think this show will have an easy path for "feel-bad anime of the year," unless Goblin Slayer can contend with it. Whew, this is rough stuff, but I do find it compelling.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling Doroka is not down for the count... I mean, she's on the poster and everything. It seems pretty clear that Adonis is not going to actually follow through with his "kill all humans" thing so I assume the focus of the show will be him doing everything he can to make sure that Chloe does get resurrected. Even before Doroka reached him, it seemed like slaughtering everyone wasn't bringing him the good vibes he assumed it would. Anyway, yet another new show where the second episode confirmed my initial impression that this would be worth following.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

Gotta say, this show is doing some interesting story things. Doroka is still not confirmed as being alive but I'm assuming that is coming. I like that there are story strands that I have no idea where they are going... like with the girl who ditched her boyfriend and looks like she's going to be scooped up by the security forces. Cool that the Magic Suprression Machine causes cancer. Really liking this one so far.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Is Oz Gorgeous going on your list of ridiculous anime names? Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:50 pm Reply with quote
I missed that one, but absolutely it's going on the list!

eta: actually, it occurs to me I didn't miss it... I haven't seen episode 4 yet.

Last edited by Blood- on Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I honestly have no idea if I'm going to wind up loving or hating this anime, but that does make it interesting.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I missed that one, but absolutely it's going on the list!

eta: actually, it occurs to me I didn't miss it... I haven't seen episode 4 yet.

But he's in episode 3... He was the guy who called the cops on the girl you mentioned. They put his name on screen and everything (which I'm glad, because when they first said it, my instant reaction was "Did I hear that right?" Smile Guess it goes with Adonis. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2