• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Detective Conan (Case Closed) (TV + movies).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:30 am Reply with quote
Oh my god The Culprit Hanazawa is a must watch, its ****ing hilarious!

You will only get the jokes if your a Detective Conan fan, but if you are OMG. It perfectly captures what it would really be like if you lived in a place with the murder rate of Beika Town or Midsomer!
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Hanazawa was fun. The art style when Conan characters had cameos was kinda wonky in an uncanny valley sort of way, but the humor hit more often than missed.

1083 Behind the Scenes of the J League Finals
So they held a lottery for kids to play with the J Leaguers and somehow all five of our kids won. Hmmm, did Haibara rig it -- and still fail to get paired up with Higo? lol And why didn't Takagi swap his car for the cop's bike instead of running to the scene on foot?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 7:33 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, Detective Conan, the eternal anime. I started watching it like 4 years ago and I am now somewhere near episode 800. Still fun, but gotta space out all those fillers.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 8:43 am Reply with quote
As is my tendency, I stopped months ago and am playing catch up again.

This caused me to lose an episode though. If you watch weekly, maybe you never noticed, but CR took down the 5th "Wild Police Story" episode. For some weird reason, they misnumbered it as a "remastered" episode- which it isn't- but for another annoying reason, CR does not have the US rights to the remastered episodes (even though they could fill in some blanks). So, even though it's an obvious mistake, Japan made CR take the episode down after a few days.

I'll get it "another way" though.

But I at least got to the badly titled "The Black Organization's Scheme" arc.
...I mean, there is no "scheme"- the FBI have a scheme to take down the BO- but the BO are purely reactionary.

Silly story in many ways. I guess they had to have a story that formally told the audience who Rum was, but it's been made pretty clear already- if he wasn't Rum, then he was another BO agent.

And well... uh... Camel... you know when you let the other injured agent out of the car? Um, uh.... why didn't you get out too? Oh sure, you escape and there's no more story, but I'm trying to figure out the logic there.

Good old Vodka though... how many times has the story been forwarded by people overhearing that doofus running his mouth?

If they ever captured him the story would be over immediately.

-"So, Vodka, where is it you guys are hiding?"
--"My name's Ryu Suzuki, and I'm telling you nothing, copper!"
-"I heard you're staying at the local Day's Inn."
--"Ha! That dump has nothing on the Beika Ritz Hotel! I hear our leader owns it... and maybe lives in the penthouse. You guys know nothing!"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 9:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, besides there being an extreme amount of filler my other complaint when it comes to Detective Conan is about the BO. For an organisation claimed to be crazy dangerous they sure seem very passive and not an actual threat. All of their plans so far have failed and the amount of agents undercover in the BO is a tad extreme. At this point half of all the BO criminals we know is actually an undercover agent
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:23 pm Reply with quote
huh, I searched out Police Academy Arc Wild Police Story CASE. Rei Furuya to discover... it's pointless. The episode is Rei and the others graduating- maybe 60% flashback of the episodes and a cheery reminder that his friends all died young tragic deaths.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WatcherZer

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Yeah the Police Academy stuff is written by another author as manga filler so the Conan mangaka can have holidays. 2/3rds of the anime is anime original filler anyway.

Certain Hanazawa charachters are indeed deliberately offbook to match the same designs used in the gag manga, its done by the same author as the normal Conan and he draws a few of the characters with their original manga appearance rather than his current style as a retro thing.

Agree on the ridiculous infiltration, we have CIA, FBI and Japanese Police collectively having placed around five undercover agents in an organisation we have only ever seen having about a dozen active members at any one time!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
Yeah the Police Academy stuff is written by another author as manga filler so the Conan mangaka can have holidays. 2/3rds of the anime is anime original filler anyway.

I enjoyed the first 4 parts just fine. This is exactly what they should do instead of the constant anime original filler. Tea Time and Hanazawa should have been shown in the DC slots too! I figured the 5th would deal with Rei facing some personal issue as he graduated- just as the others dealt with past trauma. Instead, it was just a simple epilog.

But, since I was loking for that, I also finally got around to watching a much better epilog:
Movie 25: The Bride of Halloween
And the timing of the 5th part makes sense too, as I realized that they always show the previous year's movie on TV right before the new one releases. So, in that way, the finale of wild Police Story probably showed the night of, night before, or week before they showed "25" on TV, which was shown to get people hyped for movie 26.

As they've been doing the past few years, Bride of Halloween is canon-lite. It DEFINITELY fits the story of the bomb-disposing members of the Rei's class. It kills off the mad bomber that killed Matsuda, gave nice connections from the past to future.

But as always... it's also a silly "disaster event" movie. Once again, the ending involves foiling a plan that would kill thousands or more in a terrorist plot that isn't exactly a terrorist plot. Again, someone wants revenge or to kill specific people and the solution to this is a plan that would be comparable to 9/11.
But don't worry - spoiler[giant soccer ball.] - which is a little weird, because that was exactly the solution from a few movies ago.

But the plot made more sense than The Scarlet Alibi and gave us a nice Takagi/Sato story too.

I haven't been rating the movies in quite awhile, but I'd say it was maybe a little more enjoyable than the average.

Also slightly odd, it sideline Mouri and Ran for the entire thing.it's all Conan and the cops.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 12:16 pm Reply with quote
It looks like Tony did some work on the first page/index, but ran out of steam, so I finished adding links to the movies and then links to Tea Time and Hanazawa.

Any other additions I should add? I don't want to link to all of the OVA and non-episode specials though.

(also: as it was basically just an addition to a post added hours earlier- you may have missed the large edit to the post directly above)
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Woah, thanks! I was actually pacing myself to add movie entries each week, but got so busy trying to maintain all the other discussion threads for new stuff, that I totally forgot about keeping up with this one Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.

I was also adding premiere dates and runtimes of the movies. But don't worry about that. I'll take care of 'em. I normally don't try to include most OVAs and specials for any franchise because most of them seem like a mix of random, nonsensical, filler, one-shot, extra, etc. Unless, of course, they're an integral part of whatever story. But I'll defer to you for that in the context of Conan, as I've only seen random episodes.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 3:36 pm Reply with quote
My choice of the specials added was basically Japanese theatrical release or a US release of some sort.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
1084 The Freezing Cold Men

Obvious culprit, not all that interesting. I don't get why, if spoiler[Reiji was spending his time working for the company and Kowtowing for Klients, and seemed happy to be celebrating his father's birthday, why in the hospital he said he wished he'd gone ahead and died.]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 10:33 am Reply with quote
I suppose that is the reason why I am so meh on many of the one episode cases, there is not enough time to flesh things out character or location wise. There are some rare exceptions though.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2023 12:02 pm Reply with quote
It took me an extra week to get back to
1089 The Genius Restaurant
The beginning rubbed me the wrong way and I decided to do something else.
The rest doesn't help either... You ever eat something spicy or weird before bed? This was just someone turning their spicy food dream into an episode. I usually applaud the B Staff for doing different stuff, but this one just didn't work. The whole episode I was thinking, "yeah, it's weird... but in an irritating way."

... don't feel like reviewing them all, or replying to myself for such brief reviews, but 1091 caught my attention, so I might as well edit ing both episodes...

1090 The Culprit Who Disappeared Into the Sleeping Town
That was a pretty good solution. I really didn't catch on at all. I mean, the one guy was suspicious immediately, but the whole thing subverted their usual Conan tropes- the key being that the CEO was spoiler[a good guy who wanted to turn himself in.]
Oddly though... I just watched 1091 and when I looked at the title of this one... I couldn't remember the plot at all until I turned it back on. It vanished from my memory immediately.

1091 Girls Day Mystery
But I think this one will be remembered well. What a nice scenario! I loved the girls teaming up like this- No Need for Conan!
Conversely though- I had it immediately figured out when Sato looked at the key item- doubly so when I saw the "crow" bumper sticker. So the last little bit was a little frustrating, just waiting for them to put it together.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Fell behind again.

Episodes like E1104 - The True Culprit is On the Run are the reason why.

Eventually I know I'll hit one of these crappy anime originals where the cops can't find a giant blood trail 10 feet from the scene and Conan and the kids are all... "no need to explain anything."

Kids unnecessarily questioning a violent murderer. Destroying evidence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8