• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blue Exorcist (TV + movie).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:38 am Reply with quote
I think it's got enough range, there have always been girls who read shonen stories to start with, the characters are likeable enough and there are plenty of cute looking boys for slashing (although I have seen some people complain that there aren't enough girls for straight pairings) so it certainly has the right things to appeal to both genders. Heck, most of my friends also watch anime but I've only seen the girls talking about it/making plans to cosplay from it so far (although after "dat character" pops up I might see some of my guy friends talking about the show more...).
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a slash fan myself, but unless the "Bon Gang" becomes incredibly interesting (or are revealed to be bishounen), the only real slash pairing I see is twincest. (*shudder*) Has it's fans, but squicks out most everyone else. Wink

I don't think I've ever read a shonen with an equal number of male and female characters. Naruto, for example, seems to have a steady 1:3 ratio of girls to boys. That's never stopped shippers before, so I don't really count it as a factor. Razz

Now "Dat Character" sounds intriguing. I haven't checked out the manga yet (literally...it's not available in any of the *4* library systems I've checked, and I want to avoid scans if I can), so I can only assume that a major fan-service designed female character introduction is on the horizon. That will certainly shift the male viewers attention! For my part, I just hope she's badarse. I don't mind unrealistic proportions as much when the character has a "don't mess with me" attitude, like The Major in Ghost in the Shell: SAC, or even Tsunade from Naruto...

Now I'm wondering what she's like. More mystery! W00T! Very Happy
ZeroSkyVII

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:06 am Reply with quote
I had a lot of patience at the start because of the rocket this series took off on, but unless some serious arc-plotting comes along I might start losing hope for this as a really thrilling action anime. =c

Most of the episodes thus-far have been almost 70% slice of life, and 30% what feels like a bit rushed action.

Call me tasteless, but where's the portal to another world! Where's the 'first big mission' that takes the crew off to some distant land where some unprecedented villain takes the opportunity to rear his head!

Episode 11 was somewhat slow-paced. Too much cliche melodrama, in my opinion, and from the very beginning I knew the spoiler[squid would somehow end up being a 'good guy.'] It just wasn't very intimidating, and there wasn't enough suspenseful build-up; by the middle of the episode you could tell the episode wasn't about vanquishing an ultra-powerful demon, it was about a boy (who we don't have much time to be led to care about; his hot-head, strong-guy attitude toward the whole 'Oh... my dad disappeared for six months' cliche makes him feel really awkward) and his rushed story about growing up.

Still, the series remains one of my favorites this season. I just have a lot more expectation for it!
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:33 am Reply with quote
I haven't read the manga, so to all the Blue Exorcist manga fans out there: How's the anime holding up? Are your general expectations being met, or is the pace and characterization off?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:01 am Reply with quote
ZeroSkyVII wrote:
Still, the series remains one of my favorites this season. I just have a lot more expectation for it!

Odd that I can say the same thing, and my hopes going forward are about 180 degrees from yours!

I can live without another glowing blue sword fight. I am watching Bleach Season 9 and there is really no need for another rendition of that.

Agreed that Episode 11 seemed rather flaccid. The best I can say for it is they did manage to come up with a fairly interesting character with the kid who copped a feel off of Izumo. That's pretty weak tea and it has nothing to do with the rest of the story even though they tried to tie it in as a "training exercise" or something. I take it as an example that they are more interested in developing the characters than the weapons.

Prediction: Rin is not going to beat Satan with his sword.
jsc315

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:13 am Reply with quote
Well for the typical summer beach episode they tried to do something different and was mildly entertaining at least. As for the ending of the episode the two of the characters felt the same way as I do that it was all just BS.

I'm really starting to loose my faith in this show a lot. The story has not moved much at all since what episode 4? Very little action for a shonen series and most of the characters for the most part seem useless at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I haven't read the manga, so to all the Blue Exorcist manga fans out there: How's the anime holding up? Are your general expectations being met, or is the pace and characterization off?

Very faithful adaption, not exactly 1:1 but you don't have to be 1:1 to be faithful. They added on a lot of scenes in the first episode as well as episodes 6 and 11 being filler.

jsc315 wrote:
I'm really starting to loose my faith in this show a lot. The story has not moved much at all since what episode 4? Very little action for a shonen series and most of the characters for the most part seem useless at this point.

Say that after next weeks episode.
jsc315

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 2:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm just done. This series is a disappointment after disappointment. So much potential and all we get is pointless filler that adds nothing at all and nothing to do with the story at all. This show went for amazing to just stupid. The characters are getting annoying and nothing is getting accomplished at all. So I am done with this series for good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:11 pm Reply with quote
EPISODE 12

I was just wondering today when that hot red head would show up, and WHOOP, there she is. I didn't think she was the quiet kid, but there ya go. I've enjoyed it so far, but I really hope it starts coming together to form some kind of solid story.

I said in another thread that it reminds me of early Bleach where it was funny and fun to watch, but it was definitely missing something. Then Bleach went into the Soul Society Arc, which I enjoyed tremendously. Turns out it was just missing a plot to use it's cast.

Well, let's just say I think if Blue Exorcist decided to have it's own SSA, it'd be amazing. I find Rin to be an interesting character with an interesting past that's been hinted at, and I'm kind of rooting for the guy to kick Satan's ass because I like him. He's not broody like Ichigo, he's not obnoxious like Naruto, and he's not goofy like Goku, he's actually a nice balance between all of them and shows different emotions at the appropriate times. I think his many sides really showed when he had that spat Suguro and didn't take his bait like many others would have.

Speaking of his past, it seems like we'll be exploring his apparently wild and erratic childhood, so I'm excited for that. I myself had moments where a flip was switched and I'd go berserk on people, so I may be able to relate to this next part. I'm especially curious to see how he learned to control it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Eh, the show's slowly growing on me so I'm putting off much of my dislike for shonen series. I might have found why I disliked this. Perhaps it was the lack of a plot but I'm finally liking the show because there seems to some progress.
ZeroSkyVII

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:53 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
EPISODE 12
I said in another thread that it reminds me of early Bleach where it was funny and fun to watch, but it was definitely missing something. Then Bleach went into the Soul Society Arc, which I enjoyed tremendously. Turns out it was just missing a plot to use it's cast.

Well, let's just say I think if Blue Exorcist decided to have it's own SSA, it'd be amazing. I find Rin to be an interesting character with an interesting past that's been hinted at, and I'm kind of rooting for the guy to kick Satan's ass because I like him.

In my previous post on this page I hinted towards this precisely, and I couldn't agree more with you when it comes to Bleach (which I stopped caring for entirely after the Soul Society Arc). I'm really hoping Blue Exorcist takes a similar turn, with maybe just a tad less shounen power-ups and more genuine drama and character development (although, the 45 or so episode long SSA arguably does a LOT with its characters).

More relevantly, I IMMENSELY enjoyed episode 12. I thought the scene where Rin embarrassingly asked Shiemi to go with the amusement park with him next time was incredibly realistically executed. Not too over the top romantic or drawn out. He's a shy, slightly perverted, girl-inept teenage boy. He really is one of my favorite protagonists of all time. =P

Amaimon's entry was awesome too. I think there could've been a bit more fast paced action to liven it up a bit, but the overlaying drama made it really intense. Pseudo-Gurren Lagann Yoko's entry both in and out of disguise was "OH $#!%" worthy too. I was very excited by the ending credits. xP
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:00 am Reply with quote
I'm on the same page as most of you here. Basically, I like Rin. He's an incredibly well balanced kid for a shonen protagonist. The way he interacts with his peers hits all the right notes, he's not overly antagonistic or angsty, he has personality without that annoying "in-your-face" trait or catch phrase that most heroes have.

The other characters are fun, too, and even the girl with the most issues (um...eyebrow girl? Her name is escaping me right now) has gotten a whole lot of character development since she's been introduced, and any shonen story that can detail character development for a supporting character within its first 12 episodes deserves praise just for that!

Rin's crush on Shiemi is portrayed realistically and is very sweet. I loved how he asked Yukio if he thought her skirt was too short after noting all his male classmates ogling at her. I got the impression that he wants to protect her from unwanted attention even though he likes the way she looks, too, and that was a nice sentiment seeing how naïve Shiemi is.

So it kind of bothered me that at the end of the episode we are introduced to what seems like an extremely stereotypical, flawless-in-more-ways-than-one action girl, complete with huge boobs and skimpy outfit (did she say she works for the vatican?!)

Okay, show, prove me wrong about this character! Show me that she's more interesting than the typical triple-D action princess with the tsundere attitude! I'll really respect the show more for it!
Westlo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:41 am Reply with quote
Ao no Exorcist is only upto chapter 25 in the manga, think how far into the manga that Rurouni Kenshin, Naruto, Bleach, Mago got before they reached that "Kyoto Arc".

Though the current arc in the manga right now might be leading into or becoming that "Kyoto Arc". We won't see it animated anyway, it will be saved for the eventual second season.

jsc315 wrote:
I'm just done. This series is a disappointment after disappointment. So much potential and all we get is pointless filler that adds nothing at all and nothing to do with the story at all. This show went for amazing to just stupid. The characters are getting annoying and nothing is getting accomplished at all. So I am done with this series for good.

The last episode had Rin meet his primary antagonist as well as introduced a major character in Shura... and yet you call this pointless filler that adds nothing? Piss off and stop trolling.

Agent355 wrote:
So it kind of bothered me that at the end of the episode we are introduced to what seems like an extremely stereotypical, flawless-in-more-ways-than-one action girl, complete with huge boobs and skimpy outfit (did she say she works for the vatican?!)

Okay, show, prove me wrong about this character! Show me that she's more interesting than the typical triple-D action princess with the tsundere attitude! I'll really respect the show more for it!

I'm sure most will like Shura when all is said and done. Personally as far as relationships go in this show her's is the most interesting by far.... and she's definitely not a princess with a tsundere attitude.
jsc315

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not trolling. I'm comparing what the beginning of the series was to what we are getting now. It just well to me boring and the plot is extremely slowly moving. Ok, we got a new character and all that's great and all but I have not read the manga so I had no idea It was meant to be taken So serious.

I'm just saying where the show had started and where we are now are almost two different shows at this point. I guess I just can't get into the show at all.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Amaimon, eh? Yeah, I think I'm going to like her. A lot. The show's okay, I guess. It's not one of the ones where I try to watch the latest episode as soon as it comes out, but it's doing more than just the absolute minimum required to make me not drop it, too. And, of course, now there's Amaimon...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8