• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Manga Continues Growing in Bookstores

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Izlude

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2003 3:54 pm Reply with quote
didn't Anarctic Press always publish GN's? I know they did monthlies too, but I wonder if they are switching to GN's only like a few other publishes are doing...

Anyone else notice Marvel releasing graphic novels collecting issues of Spider Man and many of their other series? I wish Sonic The Hedgehog would have graphic novels!!!!
himiko-chan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2003 8:47 pm Reply with quote
This article was especially satisfying because it's all about *ME*!!! I'm female and I buy my manga at a mainstream bookstore (Borders). Yay, I'm an actual statistic!!!

Seriously, this summer at Otakon I was having an argument with the ADV rep on this very subject. His panel discussion was all "manga is the future of the comic store business" and "oh, you should be buying your manga at your comic retailer because they are knowledgeable and can recommend other manga you will like". I told him my local Borders had expanded its manga section 400%, and he said, "Oh, that won't last, they'll start to cut back". I couldn't even get into the consumer economics of it with him (Borders' rewards program, and their frequent coupons for sizeable discounts that comic stores don't have) because he wasn't interested in anything I had to say. Hope he was reading the Publishers Weekly article. Heh Heh

My only fear is, that as other companies jump on the manga bandwagon, that the Borders shelves will be swamped with shounen titles, making the shoujo and crossover stuff harder to find.

I was glad to read the sales figures in the article, because at BAAF I asked Stu what their best selling title was (Chobits) and how many units that represented (he wouldn't give me an answer).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2