• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Banished From The Heroes' Party (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:35 pm Reply with quote
Halfway through the season and this show has really settled in as one of my genuine pleasures for the season. I really liked that the 3 powerhouses spent all their efforts dealing with one sick villager instead of a rampaging monster or a burst dam, for example, and Ruti and Red and Rit are all pretty damn...adorable? Likable? Consistent?

This season has been pretty rich in shows that are about relationships or friendships instead of a solo MC. Don't get me wrong, I love Solo Leveling and Apothecary Diaries, I'm just saying, this show, The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic, Frieren, Shangri-La Frontier....they all have the protagonists partnering up with people who seem like legit teammates or evolving families or friends rather than just adoring hangers-on or angry scrubs who make the main character look good. It's a cool change of pace.

And the Van plotline keeps getting more and more tense. This episode didn't really give any new information, though I was surprised to see that the Cardinal is a battle powerhouse. I kind of get the feeling that the fairy is one of the people pulling puppet strings instead of just a cute sidekick too. I'm starting to get worried for Theodora (another character I genuinely like).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:00 am Reply with quote
Van seems one step away from becoming worse than any demon could ever be. He is very unhinged and if something or someone gets in the way...it gets cut down. The plan to avoid the previous hero and the current one meeting seems like the best option.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
S2 E8

I'm a little surprised, I thought that as soon as Red arrived he'd be able to recognize that Van doesn't have a "Hero" blessing. I really figured his actual literal definition would be "Zealot."

Maybe it'll still come out, but this whole sequence is getting pretty annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:39 pm Reply with quote
I thought Van's statement at the end about becoming the TRUE hero was sort of interesting. Is Van aware that he's not the real deal? Because if so, all his rambling about following the dictates of the hero's blessing seems even more unhinged.

I'm also getting a little impatient to see the truth of Van's blessing revealed. Could it be some kind of duplication blessing?

All that said, it was nice to see the smug little sociopath finally get a beatdown. Now if someone would just feed that little fairy into a woodchipper and smack some answers out of Cardinal Corrupt-san, I'd be happy. If that person was Theodora, I'd be even happier..
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:34 pm Reply with quote
I am starting to think that the answer is god related. I say that because true hero Ruti has put down the mantle and thus Van could have been chosen as a replacement, he was not the first choice and thus no true hero in that regard. Maybe him being so crazy about the whole blessing thing and being such a zealot is him coping? For that matter, if god made him a fall in hero, maybe he had a different blessing before?

Anyway, nice to see some proper justice go around.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:56 am Reply with quote
Welp, I don't know that I really needed much confirmation that Van and Stinkerbell are psychopaths, or that the cardinal is a corrupt opportunist, but it was still a pretty entertaining episode from where I was sitting. Hard to see how this brewing Hero High Noon confrontation can end without bloodshed and some pretty serious consequences, but props to Red and the team for trying to "Bottom Tier Character Tomozaki" their way out this one.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 7:08 am Reply with quote
Good luck succeeding with that one since they are dealing with a zealot and his crew of selfish and deluded allies.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Red's lie just made me realize that I'm more interested in the runes written on monsters than Van.

It seems like a waste of an episode really. The plans instantly failed or will fail. You can't call the time spent with the fake fairy or cardinal "character building" so much as "character confirming."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:52 am Reply with quote
I didn't foresee Red being able to leverage his blessing as a guide to the Hero and Van's rigid belief that all blessings have to be followed to create a chink in Van's otherwise impenetrable arrogance.

I don't know if they'll be able to work away at that small opening or not. Lavender is a huge wild card, and I have no idea how she's going to play out. I can see her deciding to kill Van if he does begin to change. I can see her succeeding in sabotaging Van's change. I can see her totally collapsing into confusion (though that seems a longshot).

Be nice if she killed the cardinal no matter which route she took. Just saying.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:37 pm Reply with quote
It may be safer for society as a whole if the whole hero party besides Theodora gets axed to be honest. The cardinal is a corrupt scumbag, Lavender is indeed a wild card and Van is a zealot and those are near impossible to correct. If a new hero is chosen when one stops or is killed then maybe it is time to give it another go.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I gotta correct my previous post in one regard: both Van and Lavender have become worse as of this week. Van has gone from a zealot to a confused fake hero who is grasping at straws while not caring about anything, meanwhile Lavender is showing that she is worse than any monster. As for the good cardinal....welp.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to believe that the cardinal bled out and died before he could wake up and heal himself, but somehow, I doubt that's the case. I don't think anyone on this show has died except for a few story arc villains who were fullfiling the function of stage bosses.

Although maybe that means Van will die since he's been filling that role this season
Fingers crossed.

And BTW, I'm all for Red fulfilling his role as the guide, but I have a hard time believing that this season is going to end without another Ruiti vs Van smackdown.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:25 am Reply with quote
In real life, evil is not something like a fantasy element or trait like demons or monsters are like in stories. It is something simpler like the dehumanisation of others to make it easier to perform cruelty on them, and generally I think an act of wilful ignorance to come with justifications to assign properties to do terrible things. In that way I think Van is a very evil character, so much so that he is a danger not really worth the leeway that he happens to be young.

He is also an indictment on everyone who enabled him to become how is, and so feel no sympathy to anyone in his party.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:07 am Reply with quote
Agreed, though I would say that Van has gotten worse. At first he was a zealot completely and utterly convinced of the fact that their god and thus the blessings are always correct. Simply follow your blessing and your role in the world without thinking about right or wrong basically. At that point Van was more mindless religious machine rather than intentionally malicious.

The Van now realizes that the blessing system is not perfect and that just mindlessly following it is not necessarily the correct path. Knowing that he is panicking and lashing out in order to try and silence his inner doubts. He is now killing and attacking purely to convince himself that he is right and a true hero.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:39 am Reply with quote
@ edjwald- I dunno, I could actually see the cardinal dying. Killed by Van, the tool whose coattails he hoped to ride to yet greater prominence? It's a fitting end for someone who enabled the would-be hero to this extent. And it keeps the party's hands clean. So, I could see it sticking. Wouldn't be terribly surprised if otherwise though.

I feel for Theodora/Este. but man, I am glad she comprehends the cruel irony of her current situation. Dogmatic zealotry is a bad look for anyone. Also, she really needs to get out of the "hero party" game- its clearly not gone well for her, and she's realizing just how much she has to lose.

I still find myself unconvinced that Van actually has the "hero" blessing, just because he's always portrayed it with radically more emotion, and less compulsion, than Ruti did. I look forward to seeing if the end of the season clears that up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3