• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shangri-La Frontier (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:41 am Reply with quote
@ b-dragon: I totally get where you are coming from but in defense of the show - er, did you SEE the brains behind this outfit??? Laughing Not exactly a collection of stable geniuses...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
The other thing to consider here is how much of Setsuna's story we believe and whether or not it contradicts the idea that this game is a straight up creation with a mapped out script.

I mean, Setsuna and all of her enigmatic hints could have been pre-mapped just to give the game a meta-thrill.

Or maybe the game had something extra implanted inside it like a virus/cuckoo egg.

Or maybe the "designer" cannibalized parts of the code from some other project hoping to resurrect it or plagiarize from it. She tried to put an impenetrable force field around Wethermon because there are aspects of the game world that she is not in control of, etc.

Or maybe the tech people in Utopia are also virtual creations who only think they're running the asylum.

I'm probably going to cycle through at least half a dozen other possible theories while waiting for more information to drop....
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
Given the pace of the show you will probably keep on speculating/wating for another two seasons before having some real answers. That is assuming there will be another season, but I would like to stay positive on that.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:03 am Reply with quote
It's all due to epileptic sakura trees. Smile

Seriously though, if it really is all just a normal world with a game made by annoyingly childish developers, I'ma be very disappoint.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:06 am Reply with quote
Hmm, yes and no. It would actually be fairly unique to have a VRMMO be just that for once: an actual game without having some isekai connection. That would be a bit boring speculation wise, yet it is possible to have it be interesting without gods, other worlds and more. I kind of look at the series in a similar fashion as Bofuri.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:50 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
Much has been made about the game being well-designed, as opposed to the trash games Sunraku normally plays....Setting up narrative progression for the entire server behind a one time only raid boss with secret spawn conditions?...Giving players a large degree of freedom and not planning for cheesing strategies, sequence breaking or players otherwise being unpredictable gremlins? I have to think that's common sense for anyone who has ever designed or run a game before.... That Utopia didn't account enough for this seems...odd.
Well, you're not wrong but I think people like me are appreciating that SF is more like an passible real playable game possible IRL and not that it is an example of a great game in reality. At least it is a huge improvement over the usual basic game-in-an-anime which is more like a caricature of a game ala SAO. The show isn't really about the game anyway but about the players interacting with it and each other so it gets a pass from me. Maybe one day we will get an anime where the game will be one people will really want to play IRL and not one where presumably one is expected to enjoy level grinding forever until you become unbeatable (and attract a harem)...
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 6:00 am Reply with quote
A nice chill episode this week. It is always a riot to see the gang having fun with each other and they even have a guild to continue their adventures and beat all the unique monsters now. Kudos to Arthur and her golden scale laundering scheme, it is a smart way to go from PK-er to normal adventurer again while not losing the loot you really want to keep. As for what comes next, a blacksmith promotion quest it seems.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Man, that's a sweet VR pod that Katzo has. As befits a professional gamer. This might be the last episode that we see the new clan together for a while as they each go about their separate goals.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'm pretty happy about the 3 loners forming a clan. I always enjoy the way they play off of each other, in every sense.

It also seems to me that being a band of hunters whose explicit purpose is hunting unique monsters is going to put them in the target sights of all the guilds out there competing for fame and marketability.. Considering they're 2 unknowns and a PK queen, they probably already had a target sign on their back for claiming a unique monster kill before any of the major guilds. Now it's going to be a neon sign.

The dude who crashed the party was one of the academics who were in the second Royal Library, right?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Oof, that naming the clan bit was a real downer for me. I felt like I was doing the "person, woman, man, camera, tv" thing and failing. Crying or Very sad Three seconds after the first shot and the only name I could recall was Pencilgon's Errand Boys (and I love that Sunraku would've been fine with that - no ego-tripping for him, aside from his mad game skillz!).

The real Katzo is a cutie. Actually, I've always liked everyone's rl designs. There's just something both warm and fun about them that I find very appealing. Hell, I've even gotten used to Sunraku's ugly shoebill mug, because his eyes still manage to be expressive (critical in a face that otherwise has little means of conveying emotion) while also in line with his real face. What I mean is, if before I started watching the series, you'd showed me separate gifs of the characters and their avatars mixed in with a bunch of randos, I think I could've matched them all up.

And have I mentioned how much I like the OP song? I might've. I really dig it.
doomrider7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 11:58 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I'm pretty happy about the 3 loners forming a clan. I always enjoy the way they play off of each other, in every sense.

It also seems to me that being a band of hunters whose explicit purpose is hunting unique monsters is going to put them in the target sights of all the guilds out there competing for fame and marketability.. Considering they're 2 unknowns and a PK queen, they probably already had a target sign on their back for claiming a unique monster kill before any of the major guilds. Now it's going to be a neon sign.

The dude who crashed the party was one of the academics who were in the second Royal Library, right?

He was from the Lycagon Hunting clan the Psyger-0 is from.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Even Better. I'm curious about Psyger's guild/sister and the conflicting loyalties that might come into play there.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:24 am Reply with quote
Well, Sunraku's friends are off to do something on their own, but he is anything but alone on his new quests. Emul is back and Bilac has joined too, at this point I wonder if Sunraku will end up with an army of bunnies following him at some point. Anyway, seems like the upcoming final episodes will deal with fetching some needed items. Always nice to see a new area too, even if this one is not very exciting setting wise (and annoying too with all that poison).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:00 am Reply with quote
This week we had another very cool boss fight. I really like that Shangri-La makes the areas and the enemies/bosses in them interesting to encounter. It is believable that a game like that would be popular. I also loved the rabbit team up action, who does not want a rabbit piledriver.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:15 am Reply with quote
I'll admit, I was just looking at these episodes as fill-ins until we got back to Stalker-san (Cough) I mean Pysger-san or Katzu and Pencil-gon. But I enjoyed these episodes on their own merits. I usually don't care about cute mascot types (unless they're annoying, in which case I care the wrong way) but the voice actor doing Emul is topnotch. That voice is so cute and naively earnest that it takes something insanely annoying over the top and makes it hilarious.

The settings and bosses are indeed unique and come with their own challenges.

As for why crystal scorpions are so important that they're going to occupy the next to last episode slot - I assume it has something to do with those human silhouettes Sunraku saw in the mist.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10