• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
O-Chibicon

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 11:43 pm Reply with quote
"O-Chibicon may enter into a high-stakes shootout with regional powerhouse A-Kon to see if Texas is big enough for two high profile conventions."

Won't O-Chibicon have to take on Animefest before it can take on the grand elder of anime cons, A-Kon?

This does make me wonder when will we reach the saturation point on anime conventions, and when we do does anyone think there will be a backlash? Sci-Fi and Comic cons are just now starting to recover from their long slumps. Also the whole concept of Multimedia cons, like San Diego Comicon is trying, is starting to take hold.
keiichi000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:09 am Reply with quote
Actually, it will need to compete with Ushicon, A-kon, AnimeFEST.. which are the current big three anime Cons in Texas.. and that's not counting the three NEW conventions.. mind you ALL THREE are in the Houston area and ares starting within a year of each other... with Oni-con being the first one to come about.. then Kamakaze-con... and now O-Chibicon... geezus... why don't they all get together and make ONE con... instead of three smaller cons which have a MUCH lesser chance of surviving.... * sigh *

People just dont get it..

~k1
GoatBoy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be a bit of a serious accomplishment for a start-up con to offer serious competition to one of the longest-running fan-run anime cons? Especially when, as mentioned here previously, there are other cons in the way?

Wow, I sure do respect ANN for providing unbiased journalism.
goreddo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2003 3:03 am Reply with quote
O-chibicon isn't just your normal run of the mill Anime convention. We are planning to have several different things that you won't see in most cons like Tea Ceremony and other such traditional arts from Japan. O-chibicon boasts 4 24 hr video rooms including one set aside solely for J-dramas. There will be a J-rock Cosplay, A latenight cosplay for those who want to dress down and the normal Cosplay. The hotels are working very closely with us so in one hotel(Hampton) there is Free DSL and the other one currently has free dial-up but is likely to change to DSL by the time the con happens. If you have any questions regarding O-chibicon feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Daniel Bottoms
Video Director
O-chibicon
Frank Muckley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 6:07 pm Reply with quote
GoatBoy wrote:
Wow, I sure do respect ANN for providing unbiased journalism.

Heh heh...

goreddo wrote:
O-chibicon isn't just your normal run of the mill Anime convention.

Uh huh... Your web site's rather unimpressive if you're seriously considering going up against the big boys. ...and "O-ChibiCon"? Do you realize that "ChibiCon" is the single most overused anime convention name? "Chibi" doesn't exactly imply that you'll be big either. Certainly not big enough to "enter into a high-stakes shootout with regional powerhouse A-Kon". (Although, I'm not sure if that's your quote or if ANN is making up their own theories and posting them as news. Either way, it makes me laugh.)
goreddo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2003 7:47 pm Reply with quote
The reason for the name is simple every other month we have a small convention which just lasts a day which is called Chibicon. We have been doing this for over two years now. So to differentiate from our normal convention we added the O- meaning big or great to our name. We are not trying to go against the big boys but as something to go along with them. I have to agree with you that the website is not very impressive yet but check back soon for further updates

Daniel Bottoms
Video Director
O-Chibicon
edgewood

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:22 am Reply with quote
So this would be the same chibicon group I was thinking of. I was hoping it was a real convention. I always kinda considered Chibicon to be an anime club that wanted to be special. Still do in fact.

Sorry guy, but some of your old staff (since I dun know if management has changed) left a pretty bitter taste in a decent number of mouths by spamming boards and insulting other cons, among other things.

I'm holding out for Oni and Kamikaze. Too many bad associations with the little chibicon group for me to want to see what they do with a large convention.

You might also note there was a decent sized con in Alabama last year named 'Chibicon' that wisely changed its name this year.

((and I really wanna know who originally suggested that this was going into competition with A-Kon. Sorry, but no startup con is going to 'compete' with #3 volume in the nation, regardless of how much I'd love to see a huge Houston con.))
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:57 am Reply with quote
edgewood wrote:

((and I really wanna know who originally suggested that this was going into competition with A-Kon. Sorry, but no startup con is going to 'compete' with #3 volume in the nation, regardless of how much I'd love to see a huge Houston con.))

Anime News Network suggested it

"... O-Chibicon may enter into a high-stakes shootout with regional powerhouse A-Kon to see if Texas is big enough for two high profile conventions.."

And honestly to get those type of numbers right out of the gate requires alot of money and a good location.

I honestly only think that Wizard Magazine or Creation Entertainment has the resources and experience necessary to make a big convention on demand.

It just helps illustrates the bias that seems to go on at this “news” site.
Delthayre

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 9:05 am Reply with quote
I don't really understand how that demonstrates bias. That is a rather serious accusation, but also something of a default argument dredged up whenever someone doesn't like the news, often regardless of the truth of the matter, please elaborate.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:22 am Reply with quote
Here's my question:

Biased towards what? Suggesting that O-chibicon and Akon might have problems with one another suggests a bias towards.. uh..

what, exactly? You do all know what 'bias' means, right? It means you're slanted towards one particular point of view. For instance, Fox News is slanted towards the Right Conservative movement. ANN.. uh.. really doesn't HAVE anything to be biased towards.

I think calling O-chibicon "high profile" was a mistake, and that the speculation should have been left out of the thread, but if you read any major newspaper, they frequently editorialize a little in the news. It's a mistake to be sure, but it's really nothing to get all wound up over. I really don't think ANN has a history of publishing news with editorial comments in them, and I think most of you are making a really big deal out of what is basically nothing to get our Sailor Moon boxers in a twist over.

Then again I don't write the news. If one of you would like to explain what you mean by 'bias' and what 'bias' you think ANN has right now, please do tell me. I really do want to know.

-Zac
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I was meaning in a more overall since that ANN has established it's own Point of View. Now I'm not saying that ANN has gotten as bad as Fox News or Slate to actually spin the news to fit their agenda, but if you read ANN enough you get a feeling for one certain Point of View.

Now I will give ANN credit up to this point that most of it's viewpoint has mainly been kept to the OP/ED columns, but now it's starting to pop in the news (OT, Honestly how many cons just start up and claim to be the "next big thing"? That's hype not news).

I used to enjoy the site, but the more I've noticed it's "slanted" the less fun it has become. Hell, I can't watch the news or read magazines much any more because they all have their own agendas. And of course I could be imagining things, so take what I say with a grain of salt
ex_mutants

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:22 pm Reply with quote
And just to make it clear I have nothing against O-ChibiCon. I wish them the best of luck in their endeavors.
Cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if you people missed the word "may" in the blurb. What ANN is saying is if O-Chibicon continues past it's first year, continues to grow (like most anime cons) and stays in the same location, it's going to be direct competition to an already established convention in that area.

They would say the same thing if a start-up con was in Baltimore...

Not to mention that starting up a convention in a city with an already established convention is difficult. There's a finite amount of fans in an area. Sure, they may all go to a few one-day "conventions" throughout the year...but asking them to shell out money for two or three day conventions multiple times isn't going to work out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 2:26 pm Reply with quote
ex_mutants wrote:
I was meaning in a more overall since that ANN has established it's own Point of View.

You're free to cry bias and hide behind some "overall" facade, but unless you intend to be more specific, I expect your claims will be dismissed as baseless whining.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:16 pm Reply with quote
"I was meaning in a more overall since that ANN has established it's own Point of View. Now I'm not saying that ANN has gotten as bad as Fox News or Slate to actually spin the news to fit their agenda, but if you read ANN enough you get a feeling for one certain Point of View.

Now I will give ANN credit up to this point that most of it's viewpoint has mainly been kept to the OP/ED columns, but now it's starting to pop in the news (OT, Honestly how many cons just start up and claim to be the "next big thing"? That's hype not news).

I used to enjoy the site, but the more I've noticed it's "slanted" the less fun it has become. Hell, I can't watch the news or read magazines much any more because they all have their own agendas. And of course I could be imagining things, so take what I say with a grain of salt"

You are, again, not answering the question. Slanted towards what? Biased for or against what? What is the ANN Point Of View? As it is, you seem to be artifically cynical, fighting against some slant that you are imagining after having heard the term "slanted news" thrown around a lot in the press and on CNN lately. You really need to give some concrete examples and state what the slant or bias is in order for this to hold any water. Throwing accusations around with totally nebulous "feelings" to back them up, devoid of any factual evidence, is really dangerous. I'm more than willing to listen to your concerns, but you need to talk.

So, please answer the question.

-Zac
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2