• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(The) New Gate (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 4:48 am Reply with quote
Hold on, Blood, I'm watching more shows than you? People should save that kind of information for anime interventions! I guess you really are serious about an anime Slimfast kick. Alright, lemme seriously count here.

Solidly enjoying.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Endangered Species
Duke of Death................................,,..Aristo w/ Appraisal Skills

Go Go Loser Ranger.........................Chillin' in Other World

Tsukimichi Moonlight..........................Gods Games We Play

Spice and Wolf...................................Train to End of World

Konosuba...........................................Unnamed Memory

Bartender............................................Reincarnated as a Slime

Salad Bowl of Nuts.............................Whisper Me a Love Song

Wind Breaker

Astro Note

Kaijo 8

Tonari

The Fable

Yatagarasu

The New Gate

Jellyfish Can't Swim at Night

Geez, If I count the ones I'm watching weekly retroactively (Sand Land, Maison Ikkoku, Natsume's Book of Friends), I'm actually watching 25 anime a week. This is a cry for help.

Edited multiple times to try to get columns in some kind of shape. Apparently spaces don't work

Last edited by Edjwald on Tue May 14, 2024 3:46 am; edited 3 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:32 am Reply with quote
Well in addition to my current 11, I'm picking away at Sand Land and Grimm's Variations. I don't count them in the official tally since all their episodes were available at once. I gotta say, I'm enjoying my reduced caloric intake. I like not feeling pressure to keep up with two dozen shows every week and I like the fact that I genuinely look forward to the shows I am watching.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:46 am Reply with quote
Good god, you say that it no longer feels like a job to watch anime? Jokes aside though, I am also cutting back on some shows this season. As the seasons get fuller and fuller it becomes an insane task to watch most of them every week and it looks like it is only going to get worse.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:56 am Reply with quote
I think Metallic Rouge kind of broke me. It was a show that had some stuff I liked at the beginning then it went south but by then for some bizarre reason I felt compelled to watch to the bitter end and experienced nothing but sweet, sweet relief when it was over. After that, I was determined never to get trapped again and at least for this season I've stuck with that mentality. So for me, it's not so much focussing in on a specific number per season it's more about genuinely liking anything I'm watching and looking forward to new episodes of it. Whatever that number ends up being is kind of beside the point. I just can't with "meh, this is okay, I guess" any more.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 6:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I get that feeling completely. I recently had it with The Banished Former Hero. The show is a trash isekai and although I have watched all of those in the past at some point you just have to wonder if it is worth it to keep doing so. The moment you are questioning why you are watching something you know that you took a wrong turn somewhere. Sunken cost fallacy and FOMO make for a deadly combo of wanting to see as much as possible and not give up once you have started, no matter how shitty something has become.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 3:38 am Reply with quote
For me, ideally, I like to watch an anime or two after work with a cup of coffee and a light snack to kind of decompress, then watch whatever anime I enjoy that come on early Saturday morning, and then wallow in an anime fest Sunday morning watching all the late Saturday afternoon anime until Duke of Death comes on.

Which I'm sure was fascinating. My point being, my lifestyle or lack of a life style can fit about 16 to 20 anime in a week fairly comfortably. But I get what you mean about feeling like watching an anime being a chore. There are some anime that have a kind of twisted genius for being right on the cusp of enjoyable. Some take a great premise and then bland it up or trope it to death, and some plant moments of inspiration or enjoyment between long intervals of irritation and viewer exhaustion. Some brilliantly animate loud, muddled tedium, and some curse decent writing with horrible production values. I think it's that quality that's more tiring than the quantity in some cases.

Anyway, I'll probably drop at least 5 anime that I've been teetering on this week.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Like with any media/hobby these days it is all about making choices. There is so much content of everything that even wanting to experience most of it is a fool's errand and carries the risk of burning you out. If you are watching an episode and simultaneously already thinking of what the next one in the list is...well, I know that feeling and it risks feeling like work.

Episode wise it was saying goodbye to starting town and setting off on a journey. There was a lot of information being leaked this week though. The receptionist seems to have a network to make use of and the bandits also knew more than they should have.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2024 5:58 am Reply with quote
Highly attuned, deep thinking, sensitive anime gourmand that I am, my big takeaway from this episode was "So Motorboating is a treatment for anger management issues? Somebody introduce this topic at a psychotherapy summit right now!

That said, I'm more curious about what Schnee is going to tell the royals at the castle and the shady clergyman than I am about the traitor. I do wonder if there's a big bad or huge conspiracy that's going to connect all the seeds this story has been planting.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

I keep waiting for this show to go south on me and to my delight it continues to stay afloat. It probably helps that this is the only "non-dungeon generic medieval European setting fantasy" show I am watching this season. Not sure why Shin felt the need to take the Moon Sanctum with them, although doing so is cool. Also, not sure what cargo the merchant Nakk has. His wagon seems only big enough to carry his four guards (five if you count Yuzuha, I guess) inside and I didn't see any cargo stored anywhere. This show continues to tantalize me with brief scenes of top heavy ladies but so far hasn't given them prominent roles. Right now that's my main criticism...
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2024 4:19 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Episode 6
Not sure why Shin felt the need to take the Moon Sanctum with them, although doing so is cool.

He's probably using it as a portable smithy. He doesn't really have any deep ties to any particular place, and he doesn't know what he's going to find or how long he might want to stay there, Also, why pay those pesky hotel fees?

Blood- wrote:
Episode 6 Also, not sure what cargo the merchant Nakk has. His wagon seems only big enough to carry his four guards (five if you count Yuzuha, I guess) inside and I didn't see any cargo stored anywhere...

Maybe the merchant rented the wagon for guards and was using storage magic to transport the goods? Or no, he was transporting some small, portable jewelry to exchange for weightier goods for the trip back? Or maybe the adventurers are the real cargo, and he's taking them to a den full of slavers....

(That book on how to serve human kind....it's a cookbook!)

Edited to add another theory that occurred to me as soon as I hit the submit button.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3