• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Wind Breaker (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2024 3:22 pm Reply with quote
You are right in that sports anime often do that yet I think that the mc will win after a particularly lengthy/difficult fight. I am betting on Bofurin winning all fights. I do wonder what will happen after they win though, what does a group only caring about power do when they got their asses kicked? There is also something strange going on between shaggy and the crazy leader that will probably play some role.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 3:33 am Reply with quote
Edjwald wrote:
I'm a bit apprehensive about next week's fight. One thing I've noticed about sports anime is that they love to have the MC they've been hyping up as a prodigy lose "unexpectedly" in their debut match. There are usually provisos of some kind or another. With everyone expecting Sakura to kick ass and Bofurin riding a victory wave, I could see the anime pulling a swerve of some kind.

Perhaps an unpopular opinion, but as someone who always favors good storytelling, I hope Sakura loses. He has been cocky right from the start, and I get the hint that he is underestimating Togame when he keeps thinking how slow he is with his responses. A loss would humble and make for good character development.

The show can do all this and still give Sakura the win, but a loss would make for a more compelling plot twist. "You win or you learn", ammarite.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2024 8:40 am Reply with quote
Oh, I understand the reasoning, and feeling apprehension is what the creators want, at least to a certain extent. And either outcome wouldn't make or break the show for me, because I'm really enjoying it. I watched Mix all the way through both seasons. Ditto with Baby Steps, Haikyuu, and a few others though sports anime isn't my main jam and this isn't a sports anime in any case.

I'm just saying, the build em up, build em up, build em up, time to shine, FAIL! trope still gets a little frustrating.
camseyeview140

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:17 am Reply with quote
It's rather impressive how good this show is. So much of the spring season has been not great, but Wind Breaker has been a constant bright spot since most anime seem to forget that you need compelling world-building and characters. Like, it has rock-solid action, but it needed the characters and story. Luckily, it has both a good story and good action in a wonderful mix.

Honestly, this feels like the show that Tokyo Revengers should have gotten on a production level. I'm happy that the lead is a bit of a punk, because that just makes him more compelling and we don't need folks to just like black and white characters on the morality scale. That just leads to mostly boring storytelling. Having some gray in that gradient is the spice of life. Yeah he can be angsty and stand offish, but he's not a terrible person.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 3:08 am Reply with quote
I think this series is firing on all cylinders, but even if it went to hell from here on I'd still watch because I'm just weak before droopy eyed characters like Togame and Umemiya. Embarassed Luckily it shows no signs of stumbling yet, so I can claim I'm watching because it's really good.

I really kept waiting for Sakura to get his hand stomped on by those wooden geta. That was half the tension in that fight for me. His head, not so much. And when he actually did get his head bashed, it really didn't affect him to any lasting degree, so I was right in my priorities. Smile
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 8:40 am Reply with quote
That was a very intense fight, plenty of back and forth and like always it looked great. Story wise it provided in quite a bit of information and seems to set the fight between the bosses up. Maybe getting his ass kicked will get that little psychopath to reconsider his attitude, I can honestly not see it ending any other way.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2024 12:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't love lengthy flashbacks mid-fight. I don't have an issue with the content or the relevance here, I just think it ruins the pacing. Which is a shame- I was loving the fight. Sakura needing to adjust to the tempo is great, calling out Shishitoren as acting like a bunch of bullies is on point, and the narrative juke of glasses-guy's reaction was unexpected, disquieting, and excellent.

So yeah. Less flashback. More fisticuffs. Please.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2024 3:02 am Reply with quote
7:

This episode went exactly how I thought it would, and exactly how I wanted it.

Who wins: Sakura or Togame? I think it's pretty clear the answer is, it's irrelevant. Like I said before right after episode 5, the focus will be on the relationship between Togame and Tomiyama. We got our answer, and surprisingly, Togame was not that different from Sakura in one aspect: whether they were aware of it or not, both wanted a sense of belonging when they joined their respective gangs. A sense of belonging is a very human need: Sakura has been bullied his whole life, and Togame never had someone to hang out with until he met Tomiyama. (Unrelated note: this is also why ostracization is a very painful experience for a lot of people.)

We got our fair share of action with the fights. Sakura is a high-flying striker while Togame is a ground-based grappler. Gotta love the opposing fighting styles that are a fresh breath of air from the usual brawling style we always see in gang fights. But more importantly, who wins will be irrelevant. I mean, Umemiya clearly said that a fight is a conversation. In a way, he was almost breaking the fourth wall by implying that the talk between Sakura and Togame will be more important that the punches and kicks they trade.

We got Togame's story, the familiar story of a guy who always meant well, but decided to be the bad guy and do the dirty work so that someday, he can see the old Tomiyama come back. "Freedom" is the trigger that started Togame's realization that maybe, he got swept up by his plan to be the bad guy. "What are you tryin' to do?" after that, takes up a whole other meaning for Togame.

You can say that, on top of knowing more about Togame, this is also the prologue to Tomiyama's episode when he fights Umemiya. Umemiya commented how Tomiyama must have "had it rough" when they met at Furin, so we got the hint that trauma is probably involved in the latter's life.

A familiar story that is told very well, and many lines that are surprisingly clever with multiple layers. Cloverworks is doing an amazing job with this show.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 2:20 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
I don't love lengthy flashbacks mid-fight. I don't have an issue with the content or the relevance here, I just think it ruins the pacing. Which is a shame- I was loving the fight. Sakura needing to adjust to the tempo is great, calling out Shishitoren as acting like a bunch of bullies is on point, and the narrative juke of glasses-guy's reaction was unexpected, disquieting, and excellent.

So yeah. Less flashback. More fisticuffs. Please.

Normally I would agree with the sentiment that flashbacks mid-fight break up the pace and detract from the intensity of the fight. With episode 8 I actually disagree though, in said episode the story, fighting and character development kind of became one near the end of the fight making for one hell of a moment and fight. The fight really was a conversation of sorts with some extremely well done fighting animation and fitting use of flashbacks.

As for the final fight, seems like Bofurin is indeed gonna win everything and the gremlin is getting some sense beaten into him.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 4:13 am Reply with quote
I will say that I genuinely thought that glasses was going to be the real villain of the piece, and instead he's...well, not exactly a victim but not it's hard to say he's not a victim either, even if much of it was self-inflicted and he's made a lot of other people suffer. .This arc hasn't just gone along connecting obvious dots, and I've enjoyed it. For my part, I do think the flashbacks could have been fine tuned a bit last week, but this week I didn't have a problem with how they paid off..
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 2:32 pm Reply with quote
I complained about the length of the flashbacks last week. I stand by that. This week? No notes. Absolutely excellent. Yes, they were utilized- but much more sparsely so it didn't break the flow. Sakura is growing despite himself, and his growth is affecting (or infecting,) others. It's good to watch narratively, and the action backs it up every plot beat. I don't know that much of what this show offers is particularly "special" or "unique", but when the execution is this enjoyable, I don't really care. I'm having a blast.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:53 am Reply with quote
8:

Ngl the fights are pretty exhilarating.

Fights backed with flashbacks are quite a trope. But tropes can be effective if done wrong. This show does it superbly well. When done right, flashbacks add more weight to the fights, and their motives are laid bare for everyone to see. Better yet, when Togame finally his sh*t together, both him and Sakura finally left it all out on the stage. Like I said before, it doesn't matter who won imho; we kinda know how it will turn out.

A bit surprised that the episode segues straight into the final fight, and it's looking really sweet. I wonder how this will end, especially if Choji indeed loses (either officially or if he just yields one way or another). More like, if he loses, what happens next for Shishitoren.

And of course, we will finally see what makes Umemiya so charismatic (and respected) as the leader of Bofurin. This show has a lot of heart, I'll give it that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3